Research Project Description
US Forest Service Research Participation Program – Research Hydrologist Opportunity
Southern Research Station
A research participation project is available with the Eastern Forest Environmental Threat Assessment Center (EFETAC) in Raleigh, NC.
The EFETAC seeks a Research Hydrologist to participate in a team-oriented hydrological modeling project that focuses on understanding the impacts of wildland fires and forest fuel treatment on watershed hydrology and water resources from the basin to continental scale. Duties include: 1) combining databases of historic large wildfires and streamflow records to understand the functional relationships between large fires and streamflow characteristics, and validate process-based models for regional applications, 2) identify key municipal watersheds that are most vulnerable to wildfires and to quantify potential short and long-term impacts of wildfires on water supply and peakflow rates using a process-based hydrologic model (i.e., MIKE SHE, SWAT).
- Will have a Ph.D. degree in hydrologic modeling, water resources, geography or related fields is desired. The applicant should demonstrate knowledge in hydrological data synthesis through modeling and experience with associated software (including ArcGIS, Watershed hydrologic models, SAS, R), and also demonstrate skills in communicating science through peer-reviewed publications and public speaking.
- Will have experience in peer-reviewed journal publications.
Additional Preferred Skills:
Experience in watershed-level remote sensing and GIS database development and manipulation, hydrological data mining, scenario analyses, integrating models and databases.
- Stipend Amount: $5,000/month
- Relocation Allowance: $1,000
- Length of Appointment: 3 years
- Desired Start Date: September 1st, 2014
- Number of Positions: 1
- Health Insurance supplement offered
- Deadline: Until position is filled
How to Apply:
Additional information and application materials:
Please send the following materials to USForestService@orise.orau.gov
- Application Form
- Letter of interest
- Three contact references with name and email
- Letters of recommendation are accepted but not required