Research Project Description
Graduate Internship in Computational Data Analytics
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
Data Analytics Internship
The Computational Data Analytics Research Group (CDAG) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) has multiple openings for Graduate Interns in the field of Data Analytics.
Staff in CDAG conducts innovative basic and applied computer science research on challenges of national interest. Our main research objective is to make sense of very large sets of data (commonly referred to as "Big Data"). Our research interests include large-scale data analytics and architectures. The research topics include Machine Learning, Text Analytics, Graph Analytics, Visual Analytics to Map Reduce, noSQL Databases, Distributed computing, Cloud computing, and GPGPU computing. ORNL has a broad range of data scientists that use our analytics tools and advanced architectures to quickly find value in very large data sets.
More information on the CDA Group may be found at http://cda.ornl.gov/
Duties and responsibilities of successful applicants
• The selected candidates will perform basic and applied research to help advance architectures capable of analyzing very large volumes of structured and unstructured information to find anomalous information. The research approaches can include statistical methods, machine learning, information retrieval, and knowledge discovery techniques.
• The successful candidates will assist CDAG scientists in a wide variety of research areas, including Modeling and Visualization.
• Candidates must hold a recent (within the past five years) Master’s or Ph.D. degree (from an accredited college or university) in computer science, computational science, or a related field.
• Outstanding communication skills (both verbal and written) are required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Java and C/C++ programming is required.
• Flexibility with regard to the research assignments is required.
• Successful candidates must have the ability to collaborate well with scientists, engineers, and sponsors.
• Experience with very large data sets, high performance computing, and anomaly detection is desired.
• Enrolled in an accredited Ph.D. program in mathematics, computer science, or a related field, with a Master's equivalency.
• Experience with Big Data technologies, such as MapReduce, NoSQL databases and graph database, is strongly desired.
• Visualization-driven analysis of scientific, geospatial, demographic and predictive data is advantageous.
• Experience in machine learning techniques is strongly preferred.
Participants will receive a generous monthly stipend with this appointment. A housing allowance and relocation assistance is also available for those outside of a 60 mile radius of Oak Ridge. The initial term is a 10-12 week summer internship with opportunities for extension or renewal. ORNL is located in beautiful East Tennessee, near Knoxville and the Smoky Mountains.
The application deadline for Summer Term 2014 is March 15th.