Research Project Description
Antimicrobial Analysis Fellowship
Office of Management
Center for Veterinary Medicine
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
A research opportunity is available in the Office of Research (OR) within the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) of the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The selected participant will be trained to conduct microbiological testing of bacteria collected as part of the National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System (NARMS). Opportunities may include:
- Biochemical and genetic tests to identify foodborne bacteria to the species level
- Standardized in vitro testing methods to measure antimicrobial susceptibility
- Microbial genetic tests to characterized NARMS isolates for relatedness
- Assist in the development of NARMS reports and research publication
The participant will also gain the education and knowledge to independently identify various bacteria in foods, and learn the methods used to compare the contrast strains based on phenotypic and genotypic information.
This program, administered by ORAU through its contract with the U.S. Department of Energy to manage the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education, was established through an interagency agreement between DOE and FDA. The initial appointment is for one year, but may be renewed upon recommendation of FDA contingent on the availability of funds. The participant will receive a monthly stipend commensurate with education level and experience. Proof of health insurance is required for participation in this program. The appointment is full-time at FDA in the Rockville, Maryland area. Participants do not become employees of FDA or the program administrator, and there are no fringe benefits paid.
- A Master’s degree or higher in public health received within the last five years.
How to Apply:
To be considered, please send a current CV/resume to the attention of FDArpp@orau.org. Please reference FDA-CVM-2015-0016 in all communications.
Current Research Opportunities
- Matlab/Simulink Vehicle Simulation and Analysis
- Embedded Hardware and Software Design For In-Vehicle Data Acquisition
- Transportation Greenhouse Gas Data and Public Information
- Understanding the Influence of Water Technology Clusters and Cluster Organizations
- Sustainable Materials Research – Long-term Fate of Lead Enriched Waste Streams