Research Project Description
Economic Impact Policy Analysis Fellowship
Office of Strategic Programs
Office of Program and Strategic Analysis
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Silver Spring, MD
A fellowship opportunity is currently available in the Office of Strategic Program (OSP) within the Office of Program and Strategic Analysis (OPSA) at the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
CDER’s mission is to assure that safe, effective and high-quality drugs are available to the American people. CDER promotes and protects the health of the public throughout drug development, during the drug review process, and in continued safety monitoring following drug approval. To accomplish its mission, CDER evaluates existing policies and develops new ones to address the ever-changing healthcare environment.
Under the guidance of a mentor, the selected participant will join OSP in utilizing methods from statistics, economics, and other social science fields to aid in evaluating existing and proposed policies. In this process, s/he will define a policy problem, propose and carry out a qualitative or quantitative assessment strategy and then synthesize and present findings. Senior management may use the results of these findings as input into policy evaluation or formulation.
This program, administered by ORAU through its contract with the U.S. Department of Energy to manage the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education, was established through an interagency agreement between DOE and FDA. The initial appointment is for one year, but may be renewed upon recommendation of FDA contingent on the availability of funds. The participant will receive a monthly stipend commensurate with education level and experience. Proof of health insurance is required for participation in this program. The appointment is full-time or part-time at CDER in the Silver Spring, Maryland area. Participants do not become employees of FDA or the program administrator, and there are no fringe benefits paid.
- A Master’s or Doctoral degree in statistics, economics or a related quantitative field received within the last five years.
- Students currently enrolled in Master’s or PhD programs in the fields listed at an accredited U.S. college or university are also encouraged to apply. Proof of enrollment will need to be provided each semester.
- Experience manipulating large datasets, strong analytical skills, and experience in either SAS or STATA is desired.
How to Apply:
To be considered, please send a current CV/resume to the attention of FDArpp@orau.org. Please reference FDA-CDER-2014-0054 in all communications.
Current Research Opportunities
- Matlab/Simulink Vehicle Simulation and Analysis
- Embedded Hardware and Software Design For In-Vehicle Data Acquisition
- Transportation Greenhouse Gas Data and Public Information
- Understanding the Influence of Water Technology Clusters and Cluster Organizations
- Sustainable Materials Research – Long-term Fate of Lead Enriched Waste Streams