Research Project Description
Computational Science Fellowship
Office of Computational Science
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Silver Spring, MD
A fellowship is available in the Office of Computational Science (OCS) within the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). OCS is responsible for providing oversight of the development of CDER’s scientific computing abilities, including both infrastructure and operations.
The participant will be involved with efforts to develop prototype tools that could ultimately support the review process to improve the quality and efficiency of product review in CDER. These tools are aimed at:
- Using statistical programming languages (like SAS, R) to rapidly generate key standard safety analyses in a repeatable fashion
- Developing a GUI to support batch analysis functions
- Creating effective version control and the ability to account for quality control requirements
The Research Participation Program for FDA is administered by the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE). The initial appointment is for one year, but may be renewed upon recommendation of FDA contingent on the availability of funds. The participant will receive a monthly stipend depending on educational level and experience. The participant must show proof of health insurance. The appointment is full-time at FDA in the Silver Spring, Maryland, area. Participants do not become employees of FDA or the program administrator, and there are no fringe benefits paid.
- A Doctoral or Master’s degree in computer science or a related discipline received within the last five years.
- Experience in programming software (such as SAS, JAVA, and C++) and knowledge of clinical trial data.
How to Apply:
To be considered, please send a current CV/resume to the attention of FDArpp@orau.org. Please reference FDA-CDER-2013-0016 in all communications.