Research Project Description
Higher Education Research Experiences - Faculty
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
Higher Education Research Experiences at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (HERE at ORNL) provides research opportunities and associated activities for participants at all levels, beginning the term before college entrance through thesis/dissertation research, and higher education faculty. The program is designed to complement academic programs by utilizing the unique resources of Oak Ridge National Laboratory to enhance science, mathematics, engineering, and technology education; encourage careers in science and technology; and improve scientific literacy. At the same time, the program contributes to the Laboratory mission.
Participants in HERE at ORNL will be funded by the programmatic funds of the ORNL host research divisions or through funding provided by institutions of higher education. Currently, there are no DOE funds earmarked for education that are available in this program.
General Benefits for Research Participation appointments include:
- Stipend (determined by category of participant)
- One round trip between home or school and ORNL
- February 1 for summer participation
- On-going for sabbatical appointment
Note: It is recommended that you submit your application by the deadline. However, applications are accepted at any time.
- 10 week summer appointment
- 6–12 month sabbatical appointment
- Academic semester appointment
- Extensions on case by case basis
- Part time appointments
- Determined on a case-by-case basis
- Pro-rated for part time assignments
- No benefits for summer assignment
- Applicant must be a member of the teaching faculty at an accredited U.S. institution of higher education.
Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (LPRs are subject to DOE clearance approval for laboratory entry)
How to Apply:
Complete Profile, HERE Faculty Posting, Two References, and Certification of Salary Form in the TOppS system.