Research Project Description
Food Processing Evaluation Team Fellowship
Office of Food Safety
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
A fellowship is available in the Office of Food Safety within the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Joining the Food Processing Evaluation Team, the participant will be involved with the efforts to ensure food safety in shelf stable hermetically sealed foods. The participant will be trained in the regulatory science of the LACF/AF review of food processes.
Opportunities may include:
- Reviewing data and other information available to the FDA related to the safety of food processes, and providing a written memorandum of the outcome
- Providing comments in response to requests for advisory opinion concerning the safety of food processes
- Responding to letters of scientific inquiry from the regulated industry and other interested persons as it pertains to toxicological matters and contributes to the scientific literature review on subjects to increase his/her base of knowledge of toxicological principles and food technology
The Research Participation Program for FDA is administered by the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE). The initial appointment is for one year, but may be renewed upon recommendation of FDA contingent on the availability of funds. The participant will receive a monthly stipend depending on educational level and experience. The participant must show proof of health insurance. The appointment is full-time at FDA in the Washington, D.C./Baltimore Metropolitan area. Participants do not become employees of FDA or the program administrator, and there are no fringe benefits paid.
- A Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, food technology, food science, chemical engineering, engineering or related scientific fields that provide knowledge directly related to processing of shelf stable hermetically sealed foods received within the last five years.
- Any specialized experience or training will also be considered.
How to Apply:
To be considered, please send a current CV/resume to the attention of FDArpp@orau.org. Please reference FDA-CFSAN-2013-0014 in all communications.